Linux Axion Quake HELP

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

JA3k1z
joined the game

Linux Axion Quake HELP

Post by JA3k1z »

I would really like to release a working version of Axion for Linux users, but since I do not have a Linux OS I am in a hole. Basically I need the files Linux needs to run Q2 with 32bit textures - I don't even know if NoCheat works with Linux (or atleast very well.) So any client reccomendations for Linux and mac would really help!
slacker
plummets to its death

Post by slacker »

i think aprquake2 is a good choice here.. as both windows/linux versions are available. and do people even think nocheat is credible these days? nobody in australia uses it anymore (infact i just found out after downloading the new axion that the servers have banned the nocheat client, i had no idea).
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

aprq2 and r1q2 are the ones to choose from. r1ch.net and apprime.0wns.org/q2
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
JA3k1z
joined the game

Post by JA3k1z »

Ok I love apr now <3 -- So does a linux user need any other files to play with open_gl? They can't use the dll files can they?
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

nope. tho, to play on your own server(map mapname) you need the linux version of TNG or sth else. google for the next generation :>
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
slacker
plummets to its death

Post by slacker »

yeah thats about it.. apr/r1q2 should come with their own *.so files (linux's equivalent to *.dll files).

sounds like you're on your way..
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

slacker wrote:yeah thats about it.. apr/r1q2 should come with their own *.so files (linux's equivalent to *.dll files).

sounds like you're on your way..
actually with aprq2 everything is compiled into the binary, just in the same way as the windows version...

The problem you'll face with downloading either one of those two for linux is that you'll most probably get source only, which means that you'll have to compile that (and tng) before you can package and release. To make it even more difficult, this "should" be done with the gcc compiler version 1.7.something (I forget, the info can be found on r1ch.net somewhere) to be compatible with other server binarys for example... The principal is that all binaries that are linked together when q2 is run (e.g. aq2 & gamei86.so) have to be compiled with the same compiler version or you'll get some fancy error when you try to start aq2, and since this "has always been" 1.7.something, it should still be compiled with this to be compatible with binarys that other people have compiled...
slacker
plummets to its death

Post by slacker »

i dont understand, why does the aq2 TNG *.so library have to compiled statically into the client? whats wrong with loading it dynamically like most (if not all?) q2 clients do?
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

slacker wrote:i dont understand, why does the aq2 TNG *.so library have to compiled statically into the client? whats wrong with loading it dynamically like most (if not all?) q2 clients do?
Who said TNG is statically linked into the linux client? I said that aprq2 compiles everything into one binary (before, there was usually an executable, and then two or more "rendering binarys" for opengl, software, 3dfx, and so on.) So you'll only get one single binary for the client, and hence, there are no .so (or .dll) files associated with aprq2 anymore, for linux, and not for windows either.

TNG is a different story, that's a server binary, and is still a separate gamei86.so. However, these two binarys (aq2 & TNG) needs to be compiled with the same compiler version to be able to run together...