llsound 1 and lag

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

bind mouse1 "+attack; screenshotjpeg"

This was the first testing with llsound 1 and 0.

We tested this about two hours and we noticed that we had far more zoomed (SSG)crosshairs on the second screenshot that was being made.

But then, if you overthink it again, the second screenshot came from releasing the mouse1 button. So if you just release the button earlier, then you would have the crosshair still in sight. Other way round, if you release it later, the crosshair was gone and you see the bullet hitting the wall.

But still, we had far more zoomed crosshairs on llsound 1. I don't know why. Perhaps we released the button earlier according to the SSG firingsound.. We were shooting like we were used to shot. This was inaccurate and no real proof.

The second test, i tried to do "wait" for the shot to come and make a screenshot then... this would make it more screenshots with zoomed crosshair while firing than screenshots with unzoomed crosshair while firing. Since "wait" has been used the locked maxfps to 85 is essential.

This didn't work out too. I made two testing series of 35 shots, with 35 screenshots. On llsound 0 I had 8/35 zoomed sights and on llsound 1 I had 10 zoomed sights. Still this is no proof since there is no big difference and still within a too big tolerance. Perhaps doing 1000 shots will give a more respectable result. Perhaps.

So this test had no real result. Still I feel a difference in firing a gun with llsound 1 and firing a gun with llsound 0.

Well no proof, but still other feeling.. Perhaps someone will get a better idea than me/us.

/Hau

Edit: I still got these files. If someone is interested, just tell me via PM here or on IRC.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
sycophant
is connecting

Post by sycophant »

really, i laughed for a while after reading this. keep up the good work.
Vermin
plummets to its death

Post by Vermin »

Hehe.. I agree with syco. I find it very hard to believe that llsound 1 would cause lag.
fraki wrote:as i remember clans like sov,gom,aid,mi etc complained much earlier about llsound 1, thats because they played alot in foreign countrys.
And fraki, AiD hasnt complained about llsound 1, we have complained about llsound 0.
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

... just like all the clans mentioned there.
*hali*
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

I don't think I've complained about anything other than vid_gamma settings. You tried to ban a setting that was in the scroll bar in the options. It got changed now, so it's all good :)
I don't give a shit.
fraki
joined the game

Post by fraki »

ok well aid was for llsound 1 but i know the others preferred playing with llsound 0.

and it causes lag else we wouldnt mention it. so accept it. if u want we can just split up everything again, im sure we can get a 2on2 league in germany, but its a bit stupid. most of the nordic clans are having big dsl connections, so no need for llsound 1 and then u blame us because we get lag with it, fair? true. just carry ur nose up high maybe u fell deeper.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

fraki wrote:and it causes lag else we wouldnt mention it. so accept it
Prove it.
I don't give a shit.
sycophant
is connecting

Post by sycophant »

"we have no proof" enuff said
alekchi
tripped on its own grenade

Post by alekchi »

i didnt read the read but i like llsound 0 because i havent loaded tng so 1 are quake2 sounds B<

loading it takes too much time and my hd page, hehe, just been too lazy for search for it
I'm sitting down here but hey, you can't see me.
Awes8ME

Post by Awes8ME »

well i can't feel the difference but the sounds are different since i use standard q2 sounds in my action , but i actally prefer playing with ll sound 1 since i think its much better :) but i still dont know why its a big deal too play with ll sound1 ?
mirror
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by mirror »

i know this thread is fcking old and maybe i'm pissing you off cause i'm starting another discussion, but the problem still exists.

like iba mentioned, theres some "extra-lag" between the moment when i press the +attack button and the moment when it shoots. the m4 feels completely different with that. nowdays german ppl have better connections, on BT i get like 70-80 which would be kinda ok if there werent those damn sounds.

i read throgh the whole thread and the conslusion is like:

some ppl have heavy probs with lowlag sounds. they're trying to get a proof but thats kinda impossible. on the other heand they dont have a real reason to lie here so why should they invent such a story.

some ppl dont have probs with those llsounds. as there is no proof for the extra-lag they dont want to change it.

so MY conclusion is: wheres the point in not disabling the llsounds? is there any big positive point for the lowlag sounds? does it really lower the ping? dont think so. so why not just putting them off if some ppl got problems with it? (it's not just me who has problems with the sounds, its kinda my whole team - and the problem is also kinda BIG :?)

so pls think about it again, and tell me arguments for the llsounds pls, if there are any. thx
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Well this thing is very much the same as NC server is for some ppl, but admins and some other ppl just don't give a shit about players and their problems cause someone is trying to help aq2 scene and we (the ones with probs like this) r just fools and r against these helpers.
IBA

Post by IBA »

its better to play with ping 100 and lls0 than ping 80 and lls1.

is it only bt wheres still used lls 1? the servers with most cws :P
#quadaver || TEAMS !"§ || http://www.quadaver.de
Vermin
plummets to its death

Post by Vermin »

Arguments for the llsounds? Well here we go.

http://aqdt.fear.net/lowlag.htm

"About Lowlag AQ2

When you fire a weapon, any weapon, the original 1.52 code actually plays TWO sounds for that shot, generating a lot of network traffic that bogs down a server in a firefight. What this modification does is use a Q2 built-in macro to play the weapon sounds.

Unfortunately for you, this requires a small modification of your own to work. Either you need to download a small client pack, or you need to rename your sounds as below."

So what lowlag sounds do is this: they play out only once instead of two times. And as you can assume, this doesn't lower your ping or lag when there is nothing going on in the server, only when you are firing your weapon and/or others are firing their weapons (so the increase of lag&ping during shootouts shouldn't be as big as with normal sounds when you use llsound 0).

Hmm, that should be it then.
mirror

Post by mirror »

okay. and you wanna tell me that the lowlag sounds are really that necessary? you wanna tell me that there is a real difference for you during an infight? i mean, you have ping 60 even on german servers, wheres your problem? does the ping rise to 90 there during the fights? no? rite.

i never heard someone complaining on a non-llsound1 server cause he has such a big ping / lag during fights. but i really have heard many which were pissed off cause they pld like noobs on llsound1 servers :>