Action Quake IV

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

shimsham wrote:there are a bunch of noobs here in aust who are working on it currently. afaik they have models and skins made for players and all weapons. the main guy who is doing it is one of the biggest jerks you will ever meet in your life, i think we all shouldnt play it just to stick it up his ass.
Is there a page for this project?
slacker
plummets to its death

Post by slacker »

someone from the australian aq2 scene has already looked into making aq4 - not sure how far it has gotten. might want to try get in contact with "loadx" and/or "cody" to find out.
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

Reaction had a cool crew, talented people and community support. See how well that worked.

A remake using the Q4 engine is useless to say the least. Bring some new ideas to the table.
Down, not across.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

80% of the people dont have the right hardware to run Q4 properly anyway.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

Wrong. 80% of the people here don't have the hardware. Poor fuckers.
I don't give a shit.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Yes thats what i meant :P Forgot to add AQ2
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
VorTeX6
sank like a rock

Post by VorTeX6 »

You are planning on combining the Action Quake mod with the Quake4 engine, right?

I don't think it will have great success, but if you are going to do it, beware of this:

-Try not to destroy the gameplay/game-physics. Look at RQ3 (Reaction Quake 3), where they tried to combine AQ2 with the Quake3 engine. The game-physics got fucked imo, it wasnt the same as playing AQ2 (though wasnt that far from it)

I say don't do it, or else you're gonna destroy AQ2 completely..

But here's what I think would be great:

-Retexture maps, with high-res .tga files.. (I don't like having both .jpg and .tga/.png textures)
-Make new weapon and player models, with high polynomes (or whatever its called), and also new player and weapon skins with very detailed high-res .tga files..
-Keep on making HUD pics.. (in .tga ofc :p)

I'd say lets abandon NoCheat and start using APR :) (you go Maniac!)
And perhaps better cheat protection on catch, something that checks each player that connects for cheat or smthn.. There's alot of ppl i know that cheats, so would be a good thing if it is possible =)

What about trying to combine AQ2 with the CS playstyle? I mean, rescuing hostages or defusing bombs in AQ2 style? Or maybe some else scenario.. wouldnt that be cool? for a change? Cause AQ2 is slowly dying out.. Myself dont play very much.. I'd rather sleep instead :p (though im not lazy (A)) So lets do somehting about it.. But still, dont destoy the AQ2 style (with the Q2 engine) =)

Thats pretty much my opinion... I will add more if something passes my mind.. What do you think? (Make fun of me or whatever, I dont care.. As long as it is your opinion)
yes u
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Clown wrote:Wrong. 80% of the people here don't have the hardware. Poor fuckers.
pfff
says the uberwatercooler maniac
:D
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

I remember reading from the creators of Action Quake2 that the mod wasn't supposed to include alot of weapons, but instead provide one sub-machinegun, one assult rifle, one sniper rifle, one shotgun, a pistol and a knife. All in all, one of each kind of weapon types we're used to hearing about in our daily lives (well, movies and games atleast). ;) I think this concept is great, because I like simple things. Counter-Strike did a different approach and offered a multitude of weapons from each category. It was fun to pick your favorite sub-machinegun and go shoot some, but when it came down to hardcore playing the players eventualy learned which weapon was the best from each category, and thus the weapon diversity you saw catered down to M4/AK47, Desert Eagle, and AWP. I blame the weapon balance in Counter-Strike mostly for this, although Counter-Strike has a different gameplay where you have to earn money in order to get weapons.

If you're set on providing a simple weapon selectment in AQ4, you gotto remember that it could be disastrous to provide different weapons than there is in AQ2, because players of AQ2 wouldn't be able to find that old feeling of pumping some with their old weapon of preference (in my case, M4 and SSG). Still, providing the exact same weapons as in AQ2 would probably make the mod seem like a copy/paste. Think about this when you're going to implete weapons in this mod. :)
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
suds
melted

Post by suds »

reading vex's post made me think that remaking aq2 is pointless

instead why dont you take the best bits of aq2 and make a new mod for q4

best bits in my opinion
-tricks ie strafe jumps and box/ladder jumps
-fast rounds, fast kills ie the power feeling you get from splattering someone
-the chance to chat and talk between rounds/while dead make sure its possible. NO other game has this, its shoot, die, spawn, shoot, die, spawn. no talking means no community and no funny shit.
-the lights, camera, action period is cool ie no damage for a while means you can get in interesting positions

so make a new game, appeal to aq2 players and you have a winner. try to remake aq2 you have a lot of angry ppl saying its not good enough

want more help email me. sudswu AT gmail.com i can model, texture and talk a lot of shit.

very happy to help. actually might go find me a copy of q4

brb

oh ps
please ad your 'best bits of aq2' to the list
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

suds wrote:-the chance to chat and talk between rounds/while dead make sure its possible. NO other game has this, its shoot, die, spawn, shoot, die, spawn. no talking means no community and no funny shit.
What are you saying? Every round based game I play has talking. You're mental.
I don't give a shit.
chatode
joined the game

Post by chatode »

suds has a great point...

I myself dont want aq2 in better covers, it is the way it is and it's not possible to modify it with better textures and physics without taking something original of it away. I play it because i like it the way it is, but the problem here is that year after year people get bored and aq2 wont get any new players.
Thats why the mod for quake4 should be done as suds said, take the best parts of aq2 and modify them in to the upcoming q4 mod.

Do it with care and it might become a hit for bigger audiences.

The new things you should try is to put for example dual weapons possibility (as in halo2). And put an armor gauge in to the game also (counter-strike, halo2 etc.) Imo the same weapons are not necessary in the quake4 mod.
aka Ode aka katodi
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Clown wrote:
suds wrote:-the chance to chat and talk between rounds/while dead make sure its possible. NO other game has this, its shoot, die, spawn, shoot, die, spawn. no talking means no community and no funny shit.
What are you saying? Every round based game I play has talking. You're mental.
ah please andrew.
saying "nice one" or "lucky shot" between one deathmatch frag and another is not "talking".
:)
suds wrote:remaking aq2 is pointless
what he said.
just keep what you have and improve it (read: aqtv)
- Beware of Beavers -
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

Deathmatch isn't round-based. Please try again later.
I don't give a shit.
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Clown wrote:Deathmatch isn't round-based. Please try again later.
didnt red "round based"
pfff
noob
- Beware of Beavers -