What requires more skill?

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue Vex
melted

What requires more skill?

Post by Blue Vex »

Continued discussion from the 'Progress on the code' thread.

Which weapon requires the most skill to use in AQ2? Discuss!
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
Tupe23
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by Tupe23 »

Ssg!
Irc: Tupe23-<br /><br />
Sync' Tupe23 | #synchrony @Qnet<br /><br />
-Aq2 since 2003-
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Obviously, slashing with the Knife requires the most skill. If you narrow the weapons down to M4 and Sniper I would say either. When you have the same amount of people saying M4 is the hardest to use as you have people saying Sniper is the hardest to use, you know it's even. :) The Sniper has the range advantage while the M4 has the crowd advantage. The aiming methods for M4 and Sniper are quite different aswell, when M4 players needs to keep their crosshair over the enemy for a longer duration, Sniper players tend to learn how to flick their mouse in order to have the enemy in the crosshair for a split second, just long enough to deliver a shot. Just take a look the next time you play and you'll see tons of snipers using the flick method (as has always been done). :)

Ofcourse, the map is probably the biggest factor when deciding what requires the most skill to use. Imo the most funny weapon to own with is the M3. Although I regard it weaker across the board than M4 and Sniper, no other weapon than the M3 has caused so many people to cry overpowered. :) Some even want it banned from servers. Go figure.
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Automatic MK23 while jumping around :lol: No crouch allowed!
^stric^
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

The knife for sure. Both throwing and slashing. The knives are more powerful than the sniper if mastered. The fact that the knife doesn't travel in a straight path makes it excellent for lobbing over crates and obstacles, wounding the oponent while they're least expecting it. Also the delay from when you throw it to when it hits the target makes it hard to master and can nail a player off guard.
So fun to watch people run into a flying knife :-)

I also find the combination of pistol and handcannon to require a great deal of skill. Switching back and forth is hard while being stealthy because the pistol makes a sound when you switch to it. You also have to be smart/skilled while moving around the map.
I like to play games, not watch them
Prinsii
was in the wrong place

Post by Prinsii »

Ditto Flunx :)
Love is the only solution.
shimsham
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by shimsham »

id say that all weapons are pretty even when it comes to skill factor. its the winge factor more than anything.
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

with 120 ping all weapons requires skill to be used
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

its pretty even between m4 and sniper imo, but when you play you notice you get more with m4 before you get it with sniper (due public) so alot of ppl would whine that m4 is easy np cuz of that ;O
sescrew
sank like a rock

Post by sescrew »

I partly disagree with you Flunx, u wont ever be able to "master" the knife completly. Ofcuz u can become better but no matter what there will always be luck involved in a knife kill (obviously not if they stand still :hop: )

The experience is a great factor, you know where people will jump or go most frequently but again u can never be sure.

About the HC and MK i agree completly.

MK is a very very powerfull second weapon if mastered
{MOB} For Life
Jabu
was flattened

Post by Jabu »

Agree with sescrew :attack:
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

It's not luck when you predict the enemy's movement and throw a knife in his direction, sescrew.

If I'm quite sure where the enemy is going to move, then a knife throw in that direction followed by a hit is skill. I had to think and be familiar with the game mechanics in order to get the kill.

An unexpected event in your favour is luck. If I throw a knife over the roof just to see how far I can throw, and the knife hits an enemy at the end of it's path, then it's luck. :)
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

It's luck when you spam them.
I don't give a shit.
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

no, sajh have learned to use spam well. not luck anymore.
sescrew
sank like a rock

Post by sescrew »

Blue vex dosnt matter if u are sure about the enemy's movements.

Even if your predicted the movement hit and kill him, he could've just as well turned left instead of right, ducked instead of jumped ( u get my drift)

Again as i said, u can obviously become better with the knifes: the aim, the prediction the experience ect.

But no matter what: There will ALWAYS be some luck in a knife kill !
{MOB} For Life