Monitor Frequency and resolution problem

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

cantidio
is connecting

Monitor Frequency and resolution problem

Post by cantidio »

Hi
I use 1024 x 768 @ 85Hz here.
When I play aq2 with 800 x 600 it puts frequency as 60Hz and I like it more with 85Hz..

I can change it after I open aq2 in nvidia panel control to 85Hz but, i must do it everytime I play aq2

My problem is how to make it 85Hz always, no matter what resolution it is 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600..
tks
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Refresh Rate Fix

Windows XP and Windows 2000 have an issue in which the screen refresh rate – the number of times per second your monitor redraws the image on the screen - resets to 60Hz (60 times per second) for every resolution by default whenever you install a new graphics driver. This is far too low for CRT monitors (but not a problem for LCD monitors). Most CRT monitors can easily exceed this refresh rate, especially at lower resolutions. Most people notice a flickering effect with a 60Hz refresh rate on CRT monitors, and it is indeed very unhealthy for your eyes (which can detect differences up to 200Hz or more) to view for long periods.

If you have a CRT monitor, each time you install a new graphics driver you will have to override this tendency for Windows to default to 60Hz. There are three main ways you can do this, and the choice is up to you as to which you use:

1. In the Forceware Control Panel (See Forceware Control Panel section below), go to the 'Refresh Rate Overrides' section. Note that to enable the Refresh Rate Overrides section in the latest Forceware drivers you will need to use a utility like NVTweak or Coolbits 2 (See the Advanced Tweaking section), or simply open the Windows Registry Editor and under the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak] key create a new DWORD called NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage and assign it a value of 0. Otherwise this section does not appear in the standard Forceware Control Panel. Once in the Refresh Rate Overrides section select 'Override refresh rates'. In the box below (which now becomes ungreyed) you can allow it to use the Default refresh rate for a particular resolution, or you can manually edit refresh rates for particular resolutions by click on the word 'Default' in the 'Refresh Rate' column next to the resolution you wish to change. Make sure you don't select a refresh rate beyond your monitor's capabilities as this will result in an 'out of frequency' error and can damage your monitor.

2. Alternatively (and this is the method I use) you can use a Refresh Rate fix, such as Refresh Force. Download this small utility and run it (launch ReForce.exe). This is the foolproof method. Just click the 'Auto Populate' button and it will detect the correct maximum possible refresh rates for each supported resolution on your monitor. You can also view and manually change the refresh rate for any resolution (be careful to make sure your monitor supports the new refresh rate entered though), and even specify additional display resolutions. Click the Apply button and the fix is done. It won't run again at startup, or sit in the background, it just changes some registry settings. You will need to use this utility again every time you install a new driver, so keep it handy.

3. Use RivaTuner to alter your refresh rates and/or add, edit or remove particular resolutions and their associated refresh rates. Details are in the RivaTuner area of the Advanced Tweaking section. To be honest, this is my least preferred method due to the risk of causing damage to your monitor.

I strongly suggest using method 2 above as it is the simplest and safest method, and easier to reverse. If you want to know more about altering resolutions and refresh rates, see the Forceware Control Panel section.
From Nvidia Forceware Tweak Guide
Was dealing with the same kind of issues some hours ago.
Ne quid nimis.
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Code: Select all

set vid_displayfrequency "85"
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

BeAViS wrote:

FUCK ME HARD! I had this problem for four years, used 100's of hours on trying to fix it. Couldn't do doublejumps or jump boxes (gg ap, pier, cloud, tj etc) for ever, and then it takes ONE FUCKING CODE IN AQ?!!?!?!?

:#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#:
:#:
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Sovnig wrote:
BeAViS wrote:

FUCK ME HARD! I had this problem for four years, used 100's of hours on trying to fix it. Couldn't do doublejumps or jump boxes (gg ap, pier, cloud, tj etc) for ever, and then it takes ONE FUCKING CODE IN AQ?!!?!?!?

:#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#: :#:
:#:
works only with apr but...
yes.
:bday:
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Next time RTFM?
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

BeAViS wrote: works only with apr but...
yes.
:bday:
Well I've always had to go certain ways in cw's, because there'd be paths I couldn't get to :s
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

Well from now, compromising will work.
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok