Hi-res weapon textures

Forum for Skins, Maps, Configs etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

Snaedis
is connecting

Post by Snaedis »

well done..

anyone know where to find these rq3 skins/models(without installing the game)?

wont most servers see it as cheat when you change the model of an item?
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

Snaedis wrote:wont most servers see it as cheat when you change the model of an item?
Correct except for the "most" thing as only a few have this check enabled. Nevertheless I already passed the word to stric to add those md3 checks onto anticheat-hashes.txt asap.
I've god as my lollipop
R3Z3T
saw the light

Post by R3Z3T »

Awesome! Keep it up
Rezet [dW]
cheef
blew itself up

Post by cheef »

yes yes yes!
weapons looking great.
but more i like the items. lasersight and bandolier looking almost real.

keep it on!

greetings
cheef
TTI
is connecting

Post by TTI »

Snaedis wrote:anyone know where to find these rq3 skins/models(without installing the game)?
The makers of RQ3, such as myself, never gave anyone permission to redistribute any of our models. Or skins. That being said, why wouldn't I feel rather awkward about a situation like this? Especially when Reaction is still under development. There's this thing called <i>copyright</i> which makes certain activities <i>illegal</i> - stealing included.
cheef wrote:i like the items. lasersight and bandolier looking almost real.
Thanks. :)
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

if he called them reskins and remodels he wouldnt get in trouble, thats what you did :)
Lognoreng
is connecting

Post by Lognoreng »

fuct wrote:if he called them reskins and remodels he wouldnt get in trouble, thats what you did :)
Doesnt matter what you call it, the models/skins are the property of the author, and unless permitted should not be used for anything else than what was originally intended, in this case for reaction mod. We respected the copyright by not re-working any maps from AQ2 where we could not get permission from original authors.

EDIT: If that last sentence was referring to the RQ3 team, we had all the appropriate permissions

my 2 cents
Repsaj
as long as it's salty..

Post by Repsaj »

Freeze it's the RQ3 police!
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

I respect the RQ3 team and all that copyright stuff. I am a mapper and texture maker myself if that's good for anything.

I am thrilled when I see someone use my ideas, textures or whatnot in their own work. I just hope they give me some credits.
This is because RQ3 and AQ2 are two almost forgotten games(mods) which only a handful of players play. And who gives a fuck if someone is "stealing" your work. It's not like somebody is earning or losing money from it.

So my point is: Leave the names of those you ripped off in a readme.txt which no one ever reads. And if you're really really nice like the RQ3 team you ask for permission, and you'll most likely get a yes. This way everyone is happy.
I like to play games, not watch them
Monk
plummets to its death

Post by Monk »

Well, I already said most of what can be said here:

http://aq2zone.action-web.ca/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1342

But for the lazy ones, there are two basic issues. Respect and intent of the original creators.

I'm not up to snuff on the various copyright laws in Europe and I know most Europeans don't like to hear about that kind of stuff, so I won't bother.

But on one hand you have players who "love" Action and Reaction, etc., and think they are doing us a favor or something by trying to spread the content as much as possible. While it's a nice rationalization, the problem is that those who think in that kind of way 99% of the time don't bother to ASK PERMISSION FIRST. It's common decency.

All our content is created from the ground up. All our ported maps were ported with the original mappers' permissions and in some cases, active involvement. We didn't just run some maps or models through a conversion program, slap on a new texture or two, and call it done. A ton of time and work (and performance optimization) went into all of the content.

Part of the intent of the original content creators was that this would be enticing to potential players of Reaction. They didn't create a buffed-up version of TEQUILA or URBAN2 or new models just so that some blokes could slap them into an AQ2 client and ignore Reaction.

I know, I know, "omg why r u whining rq3's dead and u cant stop us anyway" etc. Those are the fellas who I know we can't really reason with or talk with. Made up their minds, don't give a crap about anyone else, want to do what they want to do. Very ego-centric. It's ok. There are people like that in the world and life goes on, we can handle that. Those are the people who started to read and then skipped the rest of the post and got ready to write a flame or just go on with their lives.

Now Reaction would love to get more content. Always. But we sure as hell wouldn't rip off Flunx's or Vermin's work, bundle it or repackage it with Reaction, and throw a "shout out" to them in a random text file. We'd work with them, help them if possible, and make sure their contributions to Reaction were exactly how THEY wanted them.

When people rip out our models and repackage them randomly, we have no control over how they are optimized or presented. The sentiments of Gary Larson, creator of the comic The Far Side, kind of echo our feelings:

http://www.creators.com/index2_anotefromgarylarson.html

It's not about whether or not we're making money. You know that "online store" we have linked at http://www.rq3.com/ where you can buy shirts and cups with the Reaction logo on it? All those items are sold at cost. That means, the company who produces them (CafePress, is it?) gets all the money. If we set the price higher, yes, we could get money for that stuff. But we set the price as low as possible mainly because we thought it would be neat for people to be able to get Reaction-logoed stuff if they were fans of the mod. We don't work for money; we work for a sense of self-accomplishment. That's ALL we have. You're not "stealing" our money or potential profits, you're stealing our desire to continue work and enjoyment of the work we've done.

Most of us are "old" and work fulltime. Many of us have family as well. The work we've put into Reaction has come at the expense of work or family time. If anything, you could say that many of the contributors and team members have lost either time or money by working on Reaction.

We do it purely from the love of the game and seeing our finished product.

When people rip out our work and use it without permission, it's like a slap in the face. And a demotivator. It's hard to keep working on something if you feel like people are just going to take your work and do whatever they want with it. You spent 4 hours on a Saturday and ignored your family just to get r_speeds on your map low enough so that players can have a great gaming experience, then later on you find out that someone's distributing it in some repackaged AQ2 client that can load Q3 maps? How do you think that makes someone feel? How would that make YOU feel?

See what I mean?

This has gotten long and I did not intend it to be so. I am also sorry if it's gotten too preachy. Most of the time with things like this, if anyone had bothered to ask in the first place, we'd probably have been cool with it. It's finding out about this stuff way AFTER the fact that gets people bitter about the whole situation.

For those who understand, I thank you. It's not like this will make us suddenly stop working on Reaction, but it's still a slap in the face.

For those who think we're full of crap, I must address that with the traditional internet response: SCREW YOU YOU ASSCLOWNS WE HAET UU!!@#

:D
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

I have a question. Are these skins ripped from rq3? If not were is all that shite coming from? who ripped what like, am i missing something here?

EDIT: Yup ive missed something, carry on folks lol.
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Monk wrote:ASSCLOWNS
lol andrew

edit on topic: if you want something, do it yourself.
if you dont want, just ask kindly: rarely you will get a no (remember kindness).
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
L0ki
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by L0ki »

Kindness and respect are like boomerangs...aye!

I really feel ya and know what you are talking about, Monk. Hopefully a post like this will make some people think.

-L0ki / Screen, Print & Corporate Designer
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Woot! Aq2world got 3 new members! And BlackMonk is still "active".
I just hope people will read your long post, because it was a good one.
Guess it's too late for Vermin to ask for permission. :D

But seriously. This might end up for the better. Maybe someone on this forum with some photoshop skills will actually make some skins now.
I like to play games, not watch them
maGro
blew itself up

Post by maGro »

great work. finnaly someone managed to make me change my aq again :)
Director of #E-Reality :: Sprayer of #koksnutten