Constant having 60 fps

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Krede
is connecting

Constant having 60 fps

Post by Krede »

As comming back to the scene (by the way, hey! :oh:) i'm constantly trying to fix my AQ2. I forgot all the fancy commands, which means that I need some help :D

First of all, i finally managed to fix my Q2 and it ran nicely, but suddenly (after closing and opening again) I lagged a little bit. Meaning, that if I shoot, the shot comes like ½ sec after.
I tried typing timerefresh, and wtf, i had 60 fps. I tried changing cl_maxfps, but that doesn't help - cl_maxfps 10 = 60fps , cl_maxfps 200= 60fps. Also, if I run a local server I have ping 16. Constantly.

If anyone has had a problem like this, feel free to help me out ;) Also, if anyone has some uber gfx settings, post away.

-krede :rambo:
/care
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

v_sync
I like to play games, not watch them
oVa
plummets to its death
In-game Name: OVALEE

Post by oVa »

gl_swapinterval "0"(this is only aprq2's command(?)) and then try to change the maxfps, should work. :)
B>
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

turn v_sync off
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Keep v_sync on but turn up the refresh rate of your monitor..
Krede
is connecting

Post by Krede »

setting gl_swapinterval to 0 fixed my problem.

Big thanks! :D
/care
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

I think also the gl_finish is something to get better fps.
Set it to 0
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
starttimartti
is connecting

Post by starttimartti »

off course setting vsynch to 0 is the wrong way, unless you are trying to measure up your maximum quake rendering performance or you need a really high packetrate for some wierdo jumps.

otherwise setting vsynch (gl_swapinterval) to 0 will just make you harm. will not allow you to see "more frames" per second. it will just generate all sorts of visual artifacts to the game and break dynamic lightning.

the right way that actually increses the number of frames you see per second is setting (in aprq2) vid_displayfrequency to what is your monitors maxmium refreshrate with your quake's resolution (it defaults to 60, hence your constant 60fps in quake). possible choises are for exmple 75 85 100 or 120. not all monitors support the bigger refreshrates so you have to either know the right refreshrate or just try differet values.

oh and same command for r1q2 is vid_forcedrefresh, dont know about other clients.

edit: seems that vid_displayfrequency is broken in aprq2 1.20... well it worked atleast in 1.8b2... maybe in 1.19, maybe not... try it... or use r1q2
Last edited by starttimartti on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

starttimartti wrote:off course setting vsynch to 0 is the wrong way, unless you are trying to measure up your maximum quake rendering performance or you need a really high packetrate for some wierdo jumps.

otherwise setting vsynch (gl_swapinterval) to 0 will just make you harm. will not allow you to see "more frames" per second. it will just generate all sorts of visual artifacts to the game and break dynamic lightning.

the right way that actually increses the number of frames you see per second is setting (in aprq2) vid_displayfrequency to what is your monitors maxmium refreshrate with your quake's resolution (it defaults to 60, hence your constant 60fps in quake). possible choises are for exmple 75 85 100 or 120. not all monitors support the bigger refreshrates so you have to either know the right refreshrate or just try differet values.

oh and same command for r1q2 is vid_forcedrefresh, dont know about other clients.

And you dont have to turn v_sync off on your graffic card to enable this?
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok
ZoRoXo
tripped on its own grenade
In-game Name: Keeent

Post by ZoRoXo »

is gl_swapinterval the same as gl_ext_swapinterval?
Aka. kK >> Keeent
( ) ( )
(^_^)
(~)(~)
starttimartti
is connecting

Post by starttimartti »

Lotus wrote:And you dont have to turn v_sync off on your graffic card to enable this?
no. vsynch stays on.

edit: after i actually read the first post, i have to say that i have no clue if my "guide" will help the original poster's particular problem at all (if before alt-tabbing quake was running more smoothly than 60 fps).

but still... in 99% of cases, turning v-synch off will not benefit you in any way.

turning monitor refresh rate up, on the other hand, most definately will.
Last edited by starttimartti on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

ZoRoXo wrote:is gl_swapinterval the same as gl_ext_swapinterval?
If it were the same would there be a need for two commands?
ZoRoXo
tripped on its own grenade
In-game Name: Keeent

Post by ZoRoXo »

fuct wrote:
ZoRoXo wrote:is gl_swapinterval the same as gl_ext_swapinterval?
If it were the same would there be a need for two commands?

look, im just curios. And im not fond of rethorical questions.

ok so your signature says "In case of emergency my ass can be used as a floatation device" so are you really that fat? hows that for a rethorical question huh?
Aka. kK >> Keeent
( ) ( )
(^_^)
(~)(~)