An Aq2 bug from the past: Homing objects

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Skie
joined the game

An Aq2 bug from the past: Homing objects

Post by Skie »

Years ago when I still used to play Action Quake2 quite oftenly, I tagged along with a random group of people who were playing the Q2 campaign with a single player Aq2 mod. We were kinda beta testing it, just having fun, trying to play it through.

Around the Q2 map fact1, we forgot where to go. There was quite a lot of discrepancy in the group. Problem was, when someone entered a new map, every other player automatically teleported along, so we went back and forth a couple of times in between fact1 and fact2, until we stayed in fact2.

Everything looked right at the beginning. But after the first door opened, there were no monsters to be seen. All gone. The door behind us closed, and disappeared. Poof, into air. We went forward, and suddenly these rusty gears appeared from nowhere and started teleporting on us, gibbing us repeatedly, and eventually they started spawn camping us.

We left the map and re-entered, then recorded a demo. Here's a video of it:
http://skie.pleasedontsue.com/media/gearkill.avi (20MB)

This demo isn't shot by me. I think I lost mine at some point, but at least I'm in there, as proof to my claims that we found the bug for the first time. :)

I speculate that the gears (and the door that disappeared) thought that the players were their origin-entities, because the indexes of all entities got screwed up when everyone hopped back and forth in between the two levels, then began homing on us a bit 'randomly', thus killing everyone. Great fun.

Later on, the same bug was replicated in another level, but I wasn't on that run. Here's some gibalicious video of it anyways:
http://skie.pleasedontsue.com/media/fankill.avi (19MB)

I think I still have the specific gamex86.dll somewhere, which we used on that co-op run. Best thing is, with a little bit of luck, it's possible to replicate it even on your own.

ps. I suppose this should've gone to Aq2 general forum, rather than here.
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

*moved*

I'll take a look at the vid later :)
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

"SPAWNCAMPER!"

:D
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok
UllDott
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by UllDott »

haha:D what videos:D

does this happen every time?
Sabotage
plummets to its death

Post by Sabotage »

Hehe, kinda f###ed up 8)
How am i spelling?" Please call 800-WHO-CARES or online at www.Tellsomeonewhocares.com
*bplease*
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Haha, funny as hell, thanks for sharing.
I wonder how the game in single player for so many people works. I remember playing vanilla co-op with a couple of friends and it was a bit chaotic.

And the first and last time I tried a AQ2 SP mod, it worked quite ok, but it got stucked in the first blue door, somehow it didn't want to make it work, and it was already too late to try it harder.

Would love to give it a try with more people, it's a lot of fun. I remember playing Gears of War split-screen with a budy of mine and eagerly wanting to play Q2 Co-op again. It's so much fun.
Ne quid nimis.
Toad
is connecting

Post by Toad »

Latest SPAQ2 that I know of is here:

http://www.chromotasm.com/downloads/spaq_le_1_35.zip

That's Lacutis's site (creator of SPAQ2:LE) so hopefully it's fine to post a link to there.

This link taken from moddb... timestamped March 30, 2003. I think there might have been a version released after this.

Sun 30th Mar, 2003 @ 6:23:23pm | By -Lacutis | Authoriser +Darkness

Hey all!

Today marks a new SPAQ:LE Update to version 1.35.

Some changes include:
A Ton of stability fixes.
Gunners now throw grenades quite well and often.
Some changes to the way we determine Champions.

Remember to "set coop 1" if you try to set up a SPAQ2 server! And if you have problems with 1.35 (dunno why you would) you can get the earlier version at http://www.chromotasm.com/files/spaqle_1_30beta.zip