FINLAND!!!!!!!!!

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

S3ci0r
tried to put the pin back in

Post by S3ci0r »

it won't help because the pak file doesn't include .md3 models due to copyright
JuM8o
joined the game

Post by JuM8o »

Uncle- wrote:
JuM8o wrote:ye, like u said it works.. or NOT i tried it today in cw and then server kicked me cuz this, so i hope u get it working..
So, explaing me how on earth can I play with them and not beeing kicked?
I hope you tried more than 1 server.
nah, i played @ catchgamer matchmode 1, but if ppl want that we use it make it work before think that everyone wants use it..
Alfredo
plummets to its death

Post by Alfredo »

perhaps then the perfect solution is to make a complete standardized quake. so its the same for everyone.

i know notihing of programming, but suppose if everyone HAD to use the same version, a cheater would be easy to spot.

the version could include differents scopes, crosshairs. but models, skins and textures must be the same, or else you get kicked yeah?
The force is with you young Skywalker, But you are not a Jedi Yet
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

Alfredo wrote:the version could include differents scopes, crosshairs. but models, skins and textures must be the same, or else you get kicked yeah?
if that happens aq2 will loose its charm.
i like the fact that i can modify aq2 for my personal liking.

you know what i mean...
bail{UNi}
Violent
was flattened

EH

Post by Violent »

Good job with the anticheat, but still its more to do. 8)
iN Violent - *die young*
Haur
blew up

Post by Haur »

bail wrote:
Alfredo wrote:the version could include differents scopes, crosshairs. but models, skins and textures must be the same, or else you get kicked yeah?

you know what i mean...
hahah..
Once you go {MOB} you never stop..
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

bail wrote:

you know what i mean...
Please do read this!
You can still have custom textures/hud/crosshair/etc, there are mostly models and sounds which are checked.
Spidu
is connecting

Re: FINLAND!!!!!!!!!

Post by Spidu »

Elvis wrote:Hello people,

I thought I would start a post because lately I've been wondering why some third world country called finland has players who refuse to use anticheat.dll.

It appears as if all civilised countries use anticheat, so why don't they?

I am hoping for some good reason's why they're not using it and why we should not force it on the servers...
nice post, plah maybe more reasons why i dont install ac in uni servers.

but really ac needs that linux support..and no Exception
www.clanunited,org
Server admin @ uni servers
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

ANTICHEAT WILL NOT SUPPORT LINUX USERS by R1CH ...

.... because anticheat.dll uses NET framework and it has some API calls that linux dont support.

and btw, if there are any linux gurus that might help do something anticheat lite would be great.
^stric^
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

Anticheat does not use .NET. The main problem is that there is no inherent security on Linux like there is with Windows. With Windows, I can assume with some relatively high degree of probability that if I ask the kernel to do x, it does x. With Linux, since the kernel is all open source, it's impossible to make this assertion as a cheater can simply edit the kernel in a few lines of code to ignore certain things or prevent things (cheats) showing up to certain API calls.

Checking for cheats becomes nearly impossible too as there are hundreds or thousands of different distributions out there, each with their own libGL.so (or whatever), not to mention the thousands or millions of users who build their own stuff from source code (Gentoo and other such distributions), making binary authenticity impossible.

Granted, on Linux there probably aren't nearly as many cheats as there are for Windows, but the ones that are out there or that are made will be nigh impossible to detect reliably. Hell, even verifying the user is running a legitimate client becomes hard as many users can't use pre-compiled binaries and require a binary built from source which will be different on every users machine. Even video drivers change from one tiny kernel revision to another, and are often open source, so any kind of white-listing is again impossible.

Overcoming all of these problems, not to mention creating an ELF code packer / protector from scratch to actually protect a theoretical anticheat.so, is simply far too much work for me as an individual. I've only been able to do anticheat for Windows because I've been working with Windows for many years and know how all the internals work regarding the PE format, memory protection, kernel, Win32 API, etc. I don't even know the basic knowledge of Linux specific platform APIs, let alone the kernel or executable formats. It just isn't something I can feasibly see happening.
MarlPoro
melted

Post by MarlPoro »

I didn't understand shit what R1CH just wrote, but WORD

seems like he knows his stuff BD
MarlPoro / Anxiety
Thanks for reading
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Well my bad then :? Ye, MarlPoro, seems like.
^stric^
Jukasa
is connecting

Post by Jukasa »

Ban Linux! :rambo:

Lets face it.. they deserve it!
Member of fAtique
[fAt]Jukasa
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

haha, this gets even more ridiculous all the time. get your facts straight and then whine at us. i guarantee there will still be a chance.

what comes to us linux quakers here, i'd say we've played 5on5 with no windows player on the server. do you really think people don't hate microsoft here? and that would be just one reason to use linux.

hifi and spidu won't use it for their reasons, and a part of it is thanks to you. i won't accept it as a solution to just except every linux quaker, i'd rather have a not-exactly-100%-safe-anticheat for linux than just excuses for all. of those who play under linux, i know a few people able to code their own cheats. this doesn't make them cheaters but makes their cheats undetectable to about any checker. ac or not, they can code if they want to do that.

windows-only code is for those who use windows. some of us don't. you can try to force us if you so wish, but the finns are more stubborn than you think. if you can't think of reasons not to use it, think of reasons why to? i've reard people have bad pings and fps' even with pretty good pc's.

some of the people disagreeing to use this and put it on their servers actually have been planning something for linux, but doing it open source isn't in their limitations either. and as a binary, they theirselves wouldn't use it.

good luck uniting the windows scene!
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
angra
feels some chest pain

Post by angra »

know a few people able to code their own cheats. this doesn't make them cheaters but makes their cheats undetectable to about any checker. ac or not, they can code if they want to do that.
If they code there own cheat makes them cheaters becuse they have crossed the line and made something that is a cheat. And if they don't use it, why not send them to R1ch to block them. Do some good insted of just saying that they can do cheats, and if they aren't cheater themselves they won't mind.

And some proof should be nice to se to.
}i{ angra - #clan.illusion
Total minutes of aq2
2005: 20 716
2006: 10 405