Where are all the downloads?

The infamous forum of spam and anything unrelated to Action Quake2.

Moderator: Moderators

Rob
is connecting

Post by Rob »

Kurupt wrote:http://www.aq2world.com/?p=files&c=configs

DLs x Size

:)

The result would be the cfg traffic for 2 weeks.
154mb over 2 weeks then...
Last edited by Rob on Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
is connecting

Post by Rob »

Clown wrote:It's hard to give you a good idea. It's only little .txt files being uploaded by, at maximum, all of our users here. I doubt there is a lot of download being used as configs really aren't that interesting.

If you were to donate your files, then we would have to expect a lot more traffic. People would only be downloading it once though, so I'm not sure how much bandwidth you would be looking at even a month later.
Perhaps then it might be best to do them in small batches, ie, rather than uploading every single map, start with a few of the utilities (KeyGrip2, Wally) those kinda things, monitor the bandwidth for a week or two, then add some more?

Thoughts?
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

The thing with those are I don't think there will be too many repeat downloads. We can have a whole massive archive of stuff but I don't think people would be getting stuff that often. There might be the odd one or two downloading everything once in a while, backing up AQ2 or something. And new maps will have a demand for mirrors. But I don't think AQ2 has had any brand new players for a few years now, so nobody will need a lot of stuff.
Rob
is connecting

Post by Rob »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and update, give me a bit of time to check out these CD's (I've found all four of them now) and I'll be back in touch asap.

Regarding maps, as the AQMD is no longer active (other than for getting older maps) - whats the plan with these? I personally was always very keen on the idea of having 'official' maps, and 'un-official' maps, I was at one point a map tester at the AQMD in the days of DeathMagnet, and as a player it was always nice to know that if I downloaded something from the AQMD I knew it was likely to be a good map (and by good I mean, no leaks, missing textures that kinda stuff), at the same time it was always handy to go off to the other big site at the time for the un-official maps (www.mapworld.com/net I think?) - as there were some really good un-official ones too (Cheyenne for example).

What are the plans at AQ2World regarding this? Will you just dump all maps up there and let anyone who makes their own supply it to you and make it available? Or are you planning to have official/un-official sections?

I'd be interested to know.
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »