The Competion.

Post by n99 »

People you can contact me on this mail account:
n99@aq2world.com

This is the original piece on Aq2world.com

This brings us to the following people competing:

- Alekchi (..)
- Flunx (rough, ..)
- Genie (skytown, skytown2, country, seen, santa, other, cemal, and more)
- NRGgizer (mxcity, mxdowntown, market, mxmines, rooftops)
- peep (slumcity,itmon, xpeep)
- Ringu (sunken3, ..)
- WizardExt (dive, roadtrip, storm, time, wizs)
- Zakath (Ferron, Rok, ..)

+ Requirement: put the words 'n99 2004 map-making competition' somewhere in the map.

+ The deadline is the 23rd of november.

+ Promo matches: quad. vs [e] AND iN vs -UR-

+ A movie will be made from the material of the demo's of these matches by arild.

-> Furthermore, altough it's still unclear how the actual deciding will take place you can sign up below if you want to be a part of it. That means being part of (one of) the panel(s) that do the actual reviewing. I'm quite selected about this, since this can ruin the whole show.

As you can see, the deadline has been moved by one day. The mapmakers will have to make sure I have the map before this date.

A panel will review the maps. This panel will consist of 8 people, Hawk and myself are the only two members so far. Each of the maps will get the important '4on4' tp treatment.

After the reviewing and the promo-matches have taken place, the maps will be made available to the general public, who will get a poll where they can vote.

Winner will be decided using the following method:
(PROTOTYPE, OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS)

Panel Vote #1 20% + Panel Vote #2 10% + Panel Vote #3 5% + Clan A 5% + Clan B 5% + Clan X 5% + Clan Y 5% + User Vote #1-8% Remaining 45% divided by the percentage of the votes each map gets

People who don't understand this, which I can imagine, will get a clarification of this system in the next couple of days.

Note: For now, Clan iN's vote cannot be on Flunx, although this means Flunx actually has a disadvantage, but he says that is fine with him.

Panel will consist of eight people: (Myself), Blue Vex, Clowneh, ...

I will also try to get someone with ascii skills to make a decent 'template' for the map .nfo, which will be released along with the maps. The maps will eventually be downloadable one by one, using the normal methods, but for the event, I will put them in an archive along with the reviews (inside the aforementioned .nfo's) and a fly-trough demo. I do this because I don't want people only downloading the winner's map, but to have a look at all the created work.

So, like I said, someone with ascii skills?
Last edited by n99 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

I'll ask what I put in the comments:

Is there a theme or is it just random do what you(they) want?
ganjaman
was flattened

Post by ganjaman »

ur crazy by givin them 100 euries but still the idea rox.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

STICKY!

Also, yeah, I'd rather see the 100 euros go toward development of a totally complete client :)
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

cool :)

hopefully we'll get 4 really great new maps now :)
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Clown wrote:I'll ask what I put in the comments:

Is there a theme or is it just random do what you(they) want?
First time around, no requirements whatsoever, I'm already thinking of themes for next year. :)

----
Anyway, I was approached shortly after the feature went online by alekchi who really wanted to participate. So if this is alright with the other people in the competition he will be the last I will allow to enter.
Nozaki
blew up

Post by Nozaki »

woohoo.. this sounds cool :)

btw. Flunx, how did you come out in the Q2 map making contest? or isn't it done yet?
blood inside....
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Well, I'm still doubting how the winner will be decided. I haven't heard anything from the map-makers themselves after the launch of the feature item. They still have to tell me whether or not they're okay with alechki (or however u spell it) joining in.
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I think 25€ for each one and a very close hugh is enough :>.
I'm not in favor of prices, but it's a great iniciative n99. I like the way you focus to keep alive AQ2. Keep it going.

Caracol
Ne quid nimis.
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Nozaki wrote:woohoo.. this sounds cool :)

btw. Flunx, how did you come out in the Q2 map making contest? or isn't it done yet?
It's not over yet. But I don't have any hopes of winning that competition. My map turned out sucky :)

And it's OK for me if more mappers joined the contest. I think the more mappers, the more fun it is :)
I like to play games, not watch them
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Caracol wrote:I think 25€ for each one and a very close hugh is enough :>.
I'm not in favor of prices, but it's a great iniciative n99. I like the way you focus to keep alive AQ2. Keep it going.

Caracol
Heh, I do my best (modesty ;)). You should thank dear mister den for helping me decide not to quit almost a year ago now.

On the whole 'deciding of the winner' thingy, I think I will combine the panel/review thing with the user poll. After all, the reason for this initiative is to get as many people interested in the competition as possible. That means that if people actually have a say in the matter, they will be involved. I also determined the chance of the mapmakers trying to win by cheating is very small. Considering the amount of work you have to put in, doing it for the money is kind of pointless - two days of conventional work should net you alot more. The prestige of winning is an issue though, but I think that the people involved would like to be recognized as good mappers by a true mayority, not by fraudulenty messing with the votes. Where is the glory in that, eh?
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Well no one responding to my earlier thingy must mean the other competitors are okay with more people involved. So apart from flunx, nrgizer, wizardext, ringu, and now, alekchi, there is now room for three more mappers. If you think you're good enough to compete, or know someone who does you can put your name down here, along with any projects have been involved in before. I will read these and decide during the weekend.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

I don't mind more mappers joining as long as you decide to give me the prize in the end 8)

No seriously, competition is welcome :)

-NRG
Genie
joined the game

Post by Genie »

Me wants to compete yes!!! :D

I've never had a change taking a part to a mapping contest. Now it seems that I may have few 1 week lasting holydays and I may could make a map during them. This competition thing is absolutely great. Im pretty sure we will see some very impressive new maps. And what comes to pricing the best price is to get your map played. And that includes also that it's playable.

Happy mapping everyone!
g e n i e
irc: Keeni^^
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

'moved this to primary post'
Last edited by n99 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.