Help with apr

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Help with apr

Post by n99 »

Today I switched from nc234 to apr something-something. The reasons for this are in another thread, won't go into it. I was wondering if people could get some helpful hints for tweaking it professionaly. I don't have much need for gfx, although I like it if the hud looks nice. Other than that, I only need auto-record. There is an example cfg in the apr zip, and also a cvar list, but maybe people could just gimme some advice how to set it up smootly for this old pc / crappy connection.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

my old crappy pc managed with apr's graphics, and i think yours does too :) you can see those commands in the readme, but i'd recommend to try gl_stainmaps 1 for that blood on the map :)

i did just fine with cl_autorecord 1 and cl_recordatmatchstart 1

it doesn't eat up your cpu if you use those graphical things, and i advice you to try everyone that sounds interesting :)
mine looked like this when i had 3d.. www.mbnet.fi/~imeiz/q2/woot.jpg
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

I don't like the fact the blood is not 'cleaned' after the round ends. This seems to be a common problem (same with breakable glass).

Another problem I've run into is with the crosshairs; depending on the crosshair I take and how I choose to tweak it (i.e. scale, color, focus) I sometimes get a very faint outline (of a box) around the hair.

Weapon transparency is also a bit strange, turning it way way down doesn't result in the gun becoming more transparent at all. Also, I can only see through it when I'm looking at water.

Furthermore, when I simply load a map locally, as opposed to joining a server, I seem to be [dead] even when I'm not.

More advice on the use of the features is always wellcome as well.
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Today I installed Aprq2 and it gave me more than the ussual 60 fps. I reached 150 and more fps with lowquality textures. And with the axion ones works pretty good and with good fps.
That surprised me A LOT. Because someone told me that it was because of my crapy monitor (up to 62hz) ann I've tried the V Sync stuff and all those things. But nothing worked good. Until now.

Anyway. I've tried some things, made my configs and so. But suddenly it crashed, now I need to check why that happened. But everytime I load a map, with my video config, it crashes. I need to see what happens.

So, I apreciate any help, too.
By the way, I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 and a AMD Athlon 800mhz.

Caracol
Ne quid nimis.
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

i think that the crosshair bug is because of the size of the pic your crosshair is, i remember something about Maniac telling to make doublesized ch's so they won't get those lines when scaling..

just to check it's not any sucky version, do you use 1.161?
if not, then get it from http://apprime.0wns.org/q2/
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

aprq2_readme.txt wrote:Notes
======
To get rid of a boarder when scaling crosshair make crosshair pic two times larger.
Is that, isn't?

Caracol
Ne quid nimis.
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Caracol wrote:Is that, isn't?
Yep, that's it.
aka
tripped on its own grenade

Post by aka »

digg ass
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Cool! I read the commands section but I never thought about reading the notes. Doesn't solve the other issues though, and I still feel as if I'm getting a lower framerate on certain maps - I also feel snipings feels 'different' somehow.
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

for someones it works a bit slower, meaning nocheat's fps -10 or something, because it was done with a different(worse) compiler, or something like that :P i think mine works just fine :P
indey
plummets to its death

Post by indey »

Caracol wrote:Today I installed Aprq2 and it gave me more than the ussual 60 fps. I reached 150 and more fps with lowquality textures. And with the axion ones works pretty good and with good fps.
That surprised me A LOT. Because someone told me that it was because of my crapy monitor (up to 62hz) ann I've tried the V Sync stuff and all those things. But nothing worked good. Until now.

Anyway. I've tried some things, made my configs and so. But suddenly it crashed, now I need to check why that happened. But everytime I load a map, with my video config, it crashes. I need to see what happens.

So, I apreciate any help, too.
By the way, I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 and a AMD Athlon 800mhz.

Caracol
Im really suprised that you get MORE fps with AprQ2.. it should give worse fps than nocheat, or the same, becouse of the compiler like imeiz already said.

Anyways, about the map crashing when you use your video config -> I have the same problem with my video config (3dfx) on some maps, i guess one of them was whdistrict and the other one i know is mgibcity or something like that, not sure =).

Anyways i havent found any solution for this, if you dont count using the default graphics config, wich truly sucks ass =p.

If someone knows how to fix this or WHAT command is the one that crashes q2 on those maps, tell us please!
Synchrony - www.huhtimo.com/sync
#Synchrony - @ QuakeNET
Aq2 with attitude.
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

My game used to crash on time and cloud. I renamed the whole env directory where all the sky-textures are located, and whoopie-doo, it worked again. I almost always change the sky anyway. Try it out, it might be the same error as I had.
fell in love with the game
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Well, I taked a look to the config, change somethings and then I tried the map, and din't crashed. But I don't remember what it was... or if it was something. Maybe just a tricky move of my PC.

By the way, about that thing of the FPS. I realized that it was of the "cl_maxpackets" value. If i put it on 0, q2 runs at maximum FPS (150 or something). But, I need to vid_restart it first. When I enter to the game, is sticked on 60, then vid_restart and it works. Maybe is the autoexec or something. I'm to lazy to look in ALL the cfgs... because I have a lot of different configs. Is there a "only aprq2" autoexec? Or only the aprconfig.cfg?
Oh, and I've tried nocheat.exe without a value on cl_maxpackets and it gave me more than 60 fps, too. And now, I need to decide which client use. I started to use Aprq2 only for the FPS thing... but now. Is there something really good on aprq2? Or is only to have transparent things, colored letters and so on?
Well, that thing to autoname screenshots and demos it's really good. But Nocheat 2.4 have that too.
Any help to decide which client is "better" or comfortable will be welcomed (I think that's the way to write it... if not, sorry).

Thanks for the help, though.

Caracol
Ne quid nimis.
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

I think there is something in the apr readme about cl_maxfps and cl_maxpackets, but I don't completely understand it and cannot read it from here (I'm at grover's).

I'm sticking with apr since that is more likely to be maintained feature-wise. Also, I like the way you colorize your crosshairs on the fly, so you get the best contrast with any background.

About the autorecording and stuff, NC 2.40 is only a beta, and 2.34 doesn't have this particular feature by my knowledge, so the choice is easy in this respect as well.
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Caracol, about that vid_restart have-to. That aprconfig.cfg is generated by aprq2, so when you do those changes in game and then quit, compare aprconfig.cfg with your own configs, there should be some differences :)

apr has timestamps, in case someone else than me is used to them :P didn't like it about nc that there's no timestamsp :< apr has imo better features concerning graphics, so it looks better(depending ofcourse on the player). that autorecord, as n99 said, is only in nc's betaversion, but apr has it atleast in 1.161, and it's pretty adjustable so it should please all

if you got any questions, i'll try to answer :P