x800 or 6800GT

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

Den
something dur dur

x800 or 6800GT

Post by Den »

Sold my old card and gonna buy a new one this week. I'm still deciding which one; an ATi x800 pro or a NVidia 6800 GT. I've been reading loadsa reviews and they are all kinda different.

From what i gathered:

x800
  • Small Card
  • Cheaper (only a bit)
  • Gets hot
  • If ViVo, can be upgraded to XT which is faster than 6800 GT
  • 3Dc / Shader Model 2.0
6800 GT
  • Big Card
  • Overall performance in D3D and OpenGL is better than on the x800.
  • Designed for future games (Shader Model 3.0)
I've talked to people who have 6800 gt's, but hard to find some1 who has an x800. So im kinda hoping for a forum-user who got a x800 and wants to give me some info :D
Last edited by Den on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

so it's ati vs nvidia. i'd have to go with nvidia, because of much better drivers. wasn't it 6800 gt that you could use SLI?
and those points you made out, it seems that 6800 gt is a winner :)
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Drivers i dont care, never had any problems with ATi's.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

They can both be made to perform as their upper half.

The X800 Pro VIVO can be made into a X800XT. This would mean that you have to spend more money on a VIVO.

Nearly all 6800GT can be overclocked using nVidia drivers, to over 6800 Ultra speeds.

Even though it's basically looking at whether you want an X800XT or a 6800 Ultra, I don't really look into that. I look into what is cheaper because you won't notice any difference between the two. Because you need to get a VIVO to flash it to XT speeds, it makes the GT cheaper.

I haven't benchmarked the ATI cards but this is what I got in 3DMarks2003 with two different cards.

13007 - AMD 2500+ (12.5*200), 1GB RAM, 6800GT (450/1050)
13135 - AMD 2500+ (12.5*200), 1GB RAM, 6800 Ultra (470/1280)

The numbers in the brackets are the clock timings and memory frequencies.
I don't give a shit.
NeoFight
found a way out

Post by NeoFight »

Den there are alot of test about the difference between the 2 graphic cards.
But at the end they dont differ much.
ATI performs better with all the extra options on like AA and AF or something
and
nVidia performs better when people dont want these options or when they dont know where 2 find em etc.

So it depends what u want 2 do with the card.

WoW test U'll only need the first part of it tho the rest is about the processors

27 Graphic cards tested 27 different graphic cards tested.

If u need more info just browse through that site
(BTW its all dutch ;) )

EDIT:
Or try this forum: GoT (Also Dutch :) )
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

I have the feeling den already read plenty of articles, he clearly stated he wanted to hear from someone who owned a x800...
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

i would go for sapphire ati radeon cause thats the card and manufactor i like best!. but the taste is like the ass splitted. heh it sounds better in swedish 8)
bail{UNi}
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

How can anything sound better in swedish you murmelapa :)

Anyway, im going for the 6800 GT.
Materia
is connecting

Post by Materia »

I bought recently 6800gt (works on ultra speeds) and speed is insane compared to my last 3dcard which was on ATI. Every game i play including cs:s hl2 doom3 runs perfectly with aa and af and with high resolutions so ati and nvidia is pretty much tied here
Trust the Force
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

well what i heard, the fps are better on high res (think 1600) with aa and af on a x800.
Span
sank like a rock

Re: x800 or 6800GT

Post by Span »

Den wrote:
  • Designed for future games (Shader Model 3.0)
I realize this post is a bit overdue, but what the heck.

Having developed numerous apps in DX9.0, including shader-oriented ones, I can tell you that the differences between SM2.0 and 3.0 are chiefly important only to developers. What can be done in 3.0 can also be done in 2.0 (in terms of visual eye candy), the difference lies within how it is implemented and the impact on performance with the gfx chips.

However, as it stands now; no game developers will create a title that will vastly exceed the performance capabilites of a gfx chip which has become as popular with the mainstream consumers as with the ATI cards. So the fact is that; 3.0, until mainstream 3.0-capable ATI chips become readily available to the consumers, will not gain any significance in the gaming industry as of now.

We'll probably see games taking advantage of the model in the future. ATI is expected to release an SM3.0 capable chip within a few months, yet I believe ATI's reluctancy to adopt the shader model, until recently, has lead to the, by now, old model to be redundant almost before it ever reached its place in the sun.
"fifan va lätt!"
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

There is an argument, though, to get the 6800GT because it's as fast as the x800 but with SM 3.0.

It's all about the 7800GTX now anyway.
I don't give a shit.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Dont think we will see a 100% sm3.0 game any time soon :) Probs in 2006.It's too much a performance hit for todays hardware (not even a 7800 can handle it, i think)
Last edited by Den on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

ill say you should buy the ATi card, i got ATi radeon in both my comps.
bail{UNi}