Teraduo - teh movie

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

herty
plummets to its death

Teraduo - teh movie

Post by herty »

This is my first and most likely the last aq2 related film. I did this mainly because I wanted to learn to edit videos and I think I learned quite much while making this film. Before I started making this film I didn't have a clue how to use sony vegas for example :)

I'm looking very much forward to hearing all kind of feedback and what was good and what sucked in the film. I know most of you won't be able to enjoy this one as much as the Finns, since there is some shoutcast by Zakath in Finnish.

The movie is packed with xvid and its length is 13:24. Its size is 176MB.

Click here to download! (Thanks to Moose for hosting!)

My own 10/10mbit mirror (Most likely much slower, don't use if you don't need..)
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

:m00: im so proud you actually start posting here my walibri brother :)

dling
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

i liked it :), perhaps alittle boring intro, but else it was great
and the music rocked!:D
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Well, it was a great movie. I liked it a lot, made me laugh and the rhythm was very nice. I specially liked the foc '05 part, the song was a perfect choice and the shoutcast (which I didn't understand) gave a good feeling and a team-spirit behind the frags. Yeh, that part was awesome.

Although there was some things I didn't like that much. Some recams weren't that necessary and some scenes were really absence of them (like Moose flying high in urban2). In the first piece of the flick, sometimes I missed the end of the frags, I wanted to see if you got fragged after it or whatever. I kind of felt that you hid your deaths there, but then again in the foc part there were many deaths and unsuccessful clips. Maybe it's just coincidental.
But if there's something that was really bad was the intro. Those map-travels are overused and this one was really bad made. I mean, it's ok to show the maps, but yours wasn't good at all (circling over the same street, "jump-simulation" while floating... wasn't really good). Also it looked very jumpy (low FPS that is), don't know if it was a desired effect to match with the music, but it wasn't comfortable... I even thought it was the overall setup of the video, but it wasn't. I'd have rather tried some blurry effect or something "dream-like".
About the frags, well yes, some were really nice but some others were quite boring. But I don't really care if they are good showed... but I felt sometimes it was just random stuff to put in (and there were also some weird tiny clips I didn't really get if they were part of the action or just tiny unrelated chase-cameras).
The text presenting the movie was a bit too long or unnecessary... even redundant in some point. I think it must be very short or, on the other hand, have good content.

Overall was a good movie, I liked it and enjoyed most of it. And that noticeable WizardExt influence fitted quite well. Congratulations.

C.
Ne quid nimis.
herty
plummets to its death

Post by herty »

sanity wrote:i liked it :), perhaps alittle boring intro, but else it was great
and the music rocked!:D
You're not the only one who has said that the intro is a bit boring. I know it's a bit sucky but I guess I kind of tried to make it a bit artistic since this my last aq2-movie. And it's a bit too long too :(

Thanks for the feedback :)
Caracol wrote:Well, it was a great movie. I liked it a lot, made me laugh and the rhythm was very nice. I specially liked the foc '05 part, the song was a perfect choice and the shoutcast (which I didn't understand) gave a good feeling and a team-spirit behind the frags. Yeh, that part was awesome.
Thanks for the great feedback! About the shoutcasts:
In riot when the angle of view is in 3rd person Zakath is telling how commu doesn't dare to move from his position. And in riot when there is the fraglist shown Zakath is laughing at the fact that iler has 14 frags, commu 11 and I've got 1 :( Then he suggests to me to change my clan since that kind of frag-ratio is just like in [RK]. And in the finals against Apr/ he is just mostly telling the situations and in the end of the second final he is congratulating the winners. In the final texts McCree missed a clip from straight above and he's barking at it.
Caracol wrote:Although there was some things I didn't like that much. Some recams weren't that necessary and some scenes were really absence of them (like Moose flying high in urban2). In the first piece of the flick, sometimes I missed the end of the frags, I wanted to see if you got fragged after it or whatever. I kind of felt that you hid your deaths there, but then again in the foc part there were many deaths and unsuccessful clips. Maybe it's just coincidental.
I didn't die after scenes (well against Sweetus after hitting him with a knife in the beginning of final #1 I would have) but I tried sync the music with the frags so I had to cut the demos since the music was so fast. But I admit I didn't cut my demos too well at times and there are certain scenes I would do better now. And what comes to deaths in Foc05, I didn't have that much material of it so it wasn't that easy to find the best parts of it. In final #1 where UNi2 lost to Apr/ big time I put a lot of our deaths there since I tried to show that we weren't the dominant clan. I don't know how it worked.
Caracol wrote:But if there's something that was really bad was the intro. Those map-travels are overused and this one was really bad made. I mean, it's ok to show the maps, but yours wasn't good at all (circling over the same street, "jump-simulation" while floating... wasn't really good). Also it looked very jumpy (low FPS that is), don't know if it was a desired effect to match with the music, but it wasn't comfortable... I even thought it was the overall setup of the video, but it wasn't. I'd have rather tried some blurry effect or something "dream-like".
Once again, the intro :-) That was the first thing I did and during it I was mostly wondering all the weird actions of Sony Vegas. I guess I should have made a better one after I had edited the whole movie but I didn't. It was unfortunately jumpy and I would know how to make it better now. Well at least I learned something :)
Caracol wrote:About the frags, well yes, some were really nice but some others were quite boring. But I don't really care if they are good showed... but I felt sometimes it was just random stuff to put in (and there were also some weird tiny clips I didn't really get if they were part of the action or just tiny unrelated chase-cameras).
I think the nicer frags were in the "first half", which had frags from public servers and some clanwars. I admit not all of them are nice but some of them are really once in a lifetime stuff - at least for me. I didn't try to make this a pure frag movie since it would have been totally impossible - I'm not that skilled and most of the frags were by me. Now what do you except of a player, who manages to get 1 frag in 8 minutes of riot?

And the frags of foc05 naturally aren't that great even though we had a low ping etc. It isn't that easy to play with an unfamiliar computer and when there are actually people standing behind you.

With the tiny clips (if I know what you mean) I tried to sync the music better to the film. Apparently I failed.
Caracol wrote:Overall was a good movie, I liked it and enjoyed most of it. And that noticeable WizardExt influence fitted quite well. Congratulations.
Once again thanks for the good feedback!
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

- The intro was a little boring but i can see what u were trying to do and i appreciate it
- The frags in the second half aren't that great
- I Dont understand finnish :) (although that clearly isnt your fault :))
- The length, I sort of felt it didnt need to be that long

+ Multi weapon frags, akimbo's etc. liked those a lot
+ The music, especially "I need a hero" great choice
+ The knife kills, which i also really enjoyed in settih.avi :)
+ The comedy, Its nice to see something defferent, It kept me interested

All in all 7/10 ...I would like to see more from you herty, dont make this ur last movie :) GJ!
nemesis
sank like a rock

Post by nemesis »

FOC <3 :(
Nice movie. Also Fast Show <3.
· clan Survival · #clansurvival @ IRCNet/QuakeNet, /msg Neme^ · www.lahtela.com/survival · AQ2Suomi admin, AQ2World moderator and a member of AQ2Admins
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Indeed, I forgot that, the multi weapons was a great plus!
About the death-showing I think it kind of worked, in the foc part at least. And yes, maybe its fast-pace didn't give the chance to see the after-action in the first half.

And I remembered one thing, it would have been better if you hadn't showed the clips with the pistol shots and the throws at cloud. Despite you added a recam, it was "old stuff". Those two were the hot-stuff and showing it before spoils a lot of this movie.

Thanks for the explanation and I kind of figured out most of Zakath's .fi spam, hehe. Shame on commu!

C.
Ne quid nimis.
herty
plummets to its death

Post by herty »

Caracol wrote:About the death-showing I think it kind of worked, in the foc part at least. And yes, maybe its fast-pace didn't give the chance to see the after-action in the first half.
Have I understood something wrong or were there purposeless deaths or "unsuccessful clips" before foc-part? As far as I know there are two deaths in the end of the "first part" and both were so nice knives by J^nis (at least in my opinion 8).
Caracol wrote:And I remembered one thing, it would have been better if you hadn't showed the clips with the pistol shots and the throws at cloud. Despite you added a recam, it was "old stuff". Those two were the hot-stuff and showing it before spoils a lot of this movie.
Sad but true. Too bad I hadn't even started making this by the time I published them :(
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

nice movie to be your first one :)
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
Prinsii
was in the wrong place

Post by Prinsii »

haha nice :D gj!
Love is the only solution.
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

lol terraduo i see it almost everyday nothing new to me HEHE
but im gonna download it and watch it and say what i think about it!
bail{UNi}
JezeT
found a way out
In-game Name: JezeT

Post by JezeT »

Music rok'd. Fragging was nice and it's always good to have some comedy in the game.
Good movie overall. 8/10.
Btw, the intro wasn't too boring imo.
It's like deja vu all over again...
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

This is really the best AQ2 movie I've seen to this date... don't get me wrong, there are really really good ones out there, and I generally appreciate aq2 movies, but this one was really great.

+
the fact that you also included some scenes where you really fuck up :)
the music
those paintball guys :)
the knife and pistol frags
most of the m4 frags
the comedy
the shoutcast

-
Only thing I could think of was that some of the frags were mediocre, but thats as far as my - list goes :D

GREAT JOB! I really really hope that this wasn't your last movie!
I'll give it a
gegoj
tried to put the pin back in

Post by gegoj »

Ya, funny.

But for slow motion scenes - don't just slow down the frame rate, increase the number of frames as well.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge... ...and some just gargle...