Widescreen

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

ivO
joined the game

Widescreen

Post by ivO »

hello I really think about to buy a Widescreen TFT. I would appreciate if someone could post his experiences and especially problems with one. I am concerned about compatibility issues and also what happens if i play games at low resolutions like action quake 2?. I dont think that my graphic card can handle a resolution over 1280 in all games just to get the 16:10 or 16:9 work. Thanx for any help!
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Mhm...

Widescreen resolutions:

# 720x400@70,85,88Hz
# 800x480@60Hz
# 800x640@60Hz
# 848x480@60Hz
# 852x480@60Hz
# 856x480@60Hz
# 1280x768@60,75,85Hz

Its easy to define WD resolution to r1q2 or aprq2

R1Q2:
vid_forcewidth "720"
vid_forceheight "400"
AprQ2:
set gl_mode "-1"
set r_customwidth "720"
set r_customheight "400"

I dont know how is with hardware... What Graphic card do you have? Does it support WD resolutions? :oh:
^stric^
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I sometimes play on my widescreen notebook (1280*800) and it doesnt look that bad but if you play in lower res then it looks quite weird. ivi got a geforce 6600 if i remember correctly and it does support wd resolutions (nearly all gfx cards do). Biggest problem is that not many games support WD. I believe Clown is using a widescreen monitor for aq2, so maybe he can give you some good settings.

For more information about widescreen gaming: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

Widescreen game list:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/masterlist.php
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
ivO
joined the game

Post by ivO »

Yes I have a geforce 6600. So what happens if a game doesnt support Widescreen? Does it just stretch the picture like on a 16:9 tv? and do i always have to adjust my screen or the software is doin it automatically?.
Uncle thx for the post, didnt know that widescreen is also available at lower resolutions. Den would be nice to inform Clown so he can maybe post the pro and cons. I wanna buy this TFT: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test-fs ... w19-1.html

it will cost about 300 euros. Pls comments. Only thing it just supports 16,2 million colors. Does that mean that 32 bit is not supported? Just reading a lot of reviews the last days and i dont understand shit about screens :).
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Thats the one i want to buy too :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
ivO
joined the game

Post by ivO »

Yes i want to buy it but if too many problems appear i am gonna buy the samsung 940b http://www.overclockersonline.com/index ... 311&pnum=2.

In comparison the samsung is better i guess. I dont know what the values mean exactly but it has 1:700 contrast and the fujitsu has 1:500. Aswell frequency is higher and the viewing angles. But reviews are good on both, so i prefer the better looking one and thats definetely the fujitsu siemens :).
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

I have Samsung 930BF 2ms for 5 months now and its f00king awesome :bday:
^stric^
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

32-bits (and 24-bits) have (both) 16,7 millions mixed colors. So yes, it will support 32-bits lacking just ~500,000 colors.
Ne quid nimis.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

I need to learn how to take pictures with my camera, but you get the idea.

Dell 2005FPW.
I don't give a shit.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

ivO wrote:Only thing it just supports 16,2 million colors. Does that mean that 32 bit is not supported?
That's because that monitor uses the (now somewhat old) TN-panel technology. In those panels they've sacrificed some of the colorspace for some extra speed. In practice (if I remember correctly) it means that the RGB colors are 7bit per color instead of the regular 8 (or even as low as 6 bits per color), which in turn means that you will get 21-bit color instead of the regular 24...

Wikipedia knows more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#TN.2BFilm

Oh and btw, there is no such thing as 32-bit color, that's just 24-bit with an (8bit) alpha channel. You will never see more than 24-bit colors on a computer system.
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

must be nice to play Aq2 with Widescreen :)
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
gegoj
tried to put the pin back in

Post by gegoj »

Mutu wrote:must be nice to play Aq2 with Widescreen :)
The only problem is that apr crops upper and lower part of picture in stead of adding to left and right sides.
So what You get is not wide-screen but narrow-screen.

I don't know how the only alternative - r1q2 handles this, but i think it's pretty much the same.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge... ...and some just gargle...