Strange things happen..

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

n99 [Japan]

Strange things happen..

Post by n99 [Japan] »

Oi, just a quick post - and it might be ages before I get a chance to read the responses - people who know me know I'm not that active (understatement). Anyway, here goes.

I have been playing aq2 for a couple of years now. I only have access to the internet at my parents house, where I play on their pc - p3 500, 128mb r, geforce 2 mx, win98 in other words: crap. I have a good pc at my own place in Amsterdam, with aq2 on it so I can play if I get the cash and time to get broadband internet. Sometimes, especially if I haven't been back with my folks longer than usual, I start the game at night and just move and jump around the eerily empty maps.

Now comes the problem. Even tho this PC is alot better than the other one (AMD 2400, 1024 MB r, Radeon 9700 Pro, win XP), and I get alot higher framerates, strafe-jumping doesn't seem to work. I don't know what it is, it feels wrong, somehow. For example, doing the classic urban jump, from high rooftop to middle, and trying to jump on (towards the sign). I start the jump normally, the run-up goes fine, no problems there - now, as soon as I land on the middle roof and try to jump on, I lose all momentum, I seems like I stick to the ground for a fraction of a second. I had the same problem when I was playing at a friend's house who has a Radeon 9600 (SE I think).

Anybody else (maybe with a radeon and/or XP) out there who has this problem? Suggestions on fixing it? It might have something to do with the .cfg, which I unfortunately do not have a handy at the moment, it cannot be just the .cfg, since I use the same on both PCs.

Cheerz,

n99
Hawk
found a way out

Post by Hawk »

did you check your cl_maxfps? it's harder to strafejump the higher the maxfps is, atleast in my oppinion :P try cl_maxfps 90 or something
blissard
tried to put the pin back in

Post by blissard »

i think 60 is optimal for strafe-jumping?
hehehHEheheHheh GOGOGO Head shot !
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

The higher your FPS is, the higher you seem to jump. So when you are used to jumping at 60 or so FPS you don't notice anything. But when the FPS get as high as 120 or so you don't hit the jump button when you land because you stay up in the air a bit longer, thus losing your momentum.

.... I think that's why .....

O_o

I'm 100% certain that it's the FPS as mentioned above though :-)
Saboteur
joined the game

Post by Saboteur »

are you're sure that ur not walking instead of running? ;)
kebabtrollet
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Lol this thread is old, and so is your 'joke'. Anyway, even that profile is old, I used it when there was something (?) wrong with this one. If u want, you can delete both this post and that account (n99 [Japan]) Morpher...
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Saboteur
joined the game

Post by Saboteur »

a forum is for helping and having fun fun.
kebabtrollet