Help with apr

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

About the cl_maxpackets and cl_maxfps, what settings do you use?
The apr readme says:
About cl_maxpackets
---------------------------
VQ2 sends client movement packets to the server each client frame.

If your framerate is high (more than 100 fps), and your network bandwidth is low (modem),
this results in bandwidth overrun and, therefore, consistent lag. That's why every modem user
had to to degrade performance of their machine by clamping framerate with cl_maxfps cvar.

cl_maxpackets specifies maximum number of packets
sent to the server each second, so you don't longer need to clamp framerate.

This uses a small hack from Fuzzquake2 mod, where packets are generated each frame,
but some of them are dropped.

Normally, this will result in prediction errors, but if there are less than 3 packets dropped,
everything works fine, thanks to q2 engine architecture.

That's why minium cl_maxpacket is: cl_maxfps / 3
Well. I have adsl now, what setting do you suggest. It talks about a minimum, not a maximum. What happens when I put it higher?
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I put cl_maxfps 110, cl_maxpackets 0 and, when the aprq2 is started, it has 60 fps max and no lag. Then I vid_restart and it give me 100 fps max... don't understand the "logic" if there is one. But works fine.
I have ISDN 128.

Caracol
Ne quid nimis.
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

I always have to do a regular vid_restart in q2 to get rid of vsync, no matter what client I use.
fell in love with the game
Jubei
is connecting

Post by Jubei »

I am sorry for being ignorant here but only started playing aq2/q2 about a week ago and was under the impression that i had to use nocheat to actually get on the servers. A kind of punkbuster for q2? to prevent people hacking etc.....

yet now this thread talks about using some different client instead of nocheat? Was nocheat not required in the first place as i used to get kicked from servers for not having nocheat fully updated? Can i just get this apr and use it instead and what would i need to uninstall or change in order to switch from nocheat to apr?

thanks
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Nocheat was or is required on some servers yes, but i think most servers removed their NC-only policy.

You can use any client you want, apr,nc,q2e,q2max,R1Q2, etc. Though when playing league games, they enforce nc :)

You dont need to uninstall other clients, just extract them in ur quake2 dir and load the .exe file (x:quake2\)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
itti
is connecting

Post by itti »

how did you manage to scale the ch_1.pcx?
i tried everything. photoshop, acdsee, etc. checked twice that the resulting pcx is 8biz, didn´t change the colormode... all i get is strange colors, 8x8 block of crap on screen etc...

i also tried to do a .tga, .jpg or .png but there seems to be no transperacy... so i get a block too :(
creator of the original Seppmair Quake II
Serpent
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by Serpent »

itti wrote:how did you manage to scale the ch_1.pcx?
i tried everything. photoshop, acdsee, etc. checked twice that the resulting pcx is 8biz, didn´t change the colormode... all i get is strange colors, 8x8 block of crap on screen etc...

i also tried to do a .tga, .jpg or .png but there seems to be no transperacy... so i get a block too :(
in aprq2 u can use ch_scale command :)
Serpent
• Moderator of AQ2Suomi • 4Ðm!n ov AQ2 Liiga •
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

no that's not what he means, I think.
Photoshop should be able to do it, I suppose, though it is always a bitch.
itti
is connecting

Post by itti »

ok i managed to get it scaled (although that didn´t remove the annoying lines around the crosshair if you use ch_scale above "1"). i had to repaint it complete from scratch. the black used in ch1.pcx is only 94%black in a greyscale image... if u use true black it gets brown in quake :/

now what i found out is that you have to scale the image at first (for example with photoshop. save it to ch4.pcx, aprq2 supports this) and then rescale it with ch_scale from 0.1 to 1, it´s not possible to scale above 1 because than this lines come back. i have mine now at 16x16 scaled by 0.8... it´s a bit bigger then default one. exactly what i wanted in the first place.
creator of the original Seppmair Quake II
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

itti wrote:save it to ch4.pcx, aprq2 supports this.
Cool didn't know that, thanks.