Rules in actionquake?

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

http://www.aq2world.com/?p=features&id=68

Sorry couldn't resist, I'll go back to lurking now..
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

Nice n99. My thoughts:

Roundlimit
Really depends on how you decide to calculate wins. If you go for map wins instead of round wins this could be used.
On public servers this setting should be set instead of timelimit, honestly.

Roundtimelimit
In AQ2WL this should have been 1.5, yes. Or even lower. AQ2 can decide winner even though there are survivors on both teams. If you are going to decide winner purely by counting rounds you must eliminate camping.

To be honest, I'd prefer it if we decided winners by won maps (or a system like the NAQL used), and leave this at a sane value like 3.

Gl_modulate
3. Anything more is just silly and meaningless.

Skins
Skins must be somewhat equal and *TESTED* with IR-vision on. Some skins look totally crap with IR-vision. The norse skins should be used.

Friendly Fire
This can vary. Some like it, some hate it. Some like the variety. Personally I'd like to see more FF since it makes AQ2 more about tactic and less about reflexes.

Dmflags
512 or 768, only to toggle FF. Since AQ2 is a fast paced game you can't waste time figuring ut the spawns and then develop tactic on the go so 'spawn furthest' is essential.

Client
Until someone develops a decent way to catch cheaters there isn't much to do about this one.

My *main* grief is the rule that the winner is the one who won most rounds. For me it's ruining what could be a great league (AQ2WL). I can now understand why some clans decided not to join. I won't join again until this has changed.
Down, not across.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

tyldis wrote:For me it's ruining what could be a great league (AQ2WL). I can now understand why some clans decided not to join. I won't join again until this has changed.
Thats bs, I think clans dont join for other reasons.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
hebereque
is connecting

Post by hebereque »

Well let's post this here also.

Roundtimelimit
This is something that doesn't change the gameplay so much. But lowering it below 2.0 would kill duels.

gl_modulate
Hey come on ppl, once I started AQ2 we used GL 1 or something. IT IS A FCKG CHEAT! Game was ment to be dark in some places. Let's keep it that way. Sometimes even GL 3 feels too bright. But 5 or 6, are you farts getting too old for this or what's the problem?

Skins
Same here, I reckon this is a problem with Q2 settings. You can adjust the game to look ugly to see the skins better <- That's something admins can't stop. The person using these "modified" settings will get the advantage.

But I'd still want to see NICE and DETAILED skins, not just plain white snowman versus yellow alp skiier. Just to give the game some more graphics and fun.

AntiCheat
Everyone seems to have forgotten the fact that you can never stop the cheaters but it doesn't mean we should just forget about it and let things roll. NO! It's a constant fight which needs to be kept alive. NC is a broken umbrella though.

This post maybe flamy and I know ppl have used to play with some settings for a long time. I'm willing to change my gameplay in order to get things running more smoothly.

But you should be able to see things even without bright skins or glmodulate 5 or something. Mess with your brightness settings if you will, but it's no excuse for allowing "cheating" to be easier. Dark spots are meant to be dark.
HEbereQue^cSu - AQ2Suomi.com creator - www.lahtela.com
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I cant believe people are still whining about gl_modulate..
Hey come on ppl, once I started AQ2 we used GL 1 or something. IT IS A FCKG CHEAT! Game was ment to be dark in some places. Let's keep it that way. Sometimes even GL 3 feels too bright. But 5 or 6, are you farts getting too old for this or what's the problem?
if i put gl_mod on 3 i cant see shit? if you think 3 is too bright, you need to go outside more. and why limit it??? you can change the brightness with video tools anyway. Move on, gl_mod isnt an issue anymore.

OFFTOPIC:
Hebe, contact me on irc please because we need to schedule the aq2w league game again.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

Den wrote:
tyldis wrote:For me it's ruining what could be a great league (AQ2WL). I can now understand why some clans decided not to join. I won't join again until this has changed.
Thats bs, I think clans dont join for other reasons.
Some did say 'too much camping', didn't they?
Down, not across.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

hebereque wrote:gl_modulate
Actually, I atleast have made the maps I've made lately using gl_modulate 3, so those maps are actually too dark using only 1. I think this is true for other newer maps as well. Anyway, I've never been able to play with 1.0 on any nVidia card that I've owned, since it seems to be alot darker than the voodoo2 card that was my first 3d accelerated card...
ip
is connecting

rules....rules....rules

Post by ip »

Ok this is a really interessting discussion.
I think that own server rules can be on.
Cuz if som1 likes to have tgren 1-2-3 or what so ever i think its ok.
Both teams get grenades so why care.

But to change dmflags so the team get huge advantage of better spawns i think is just lame.

And this shit with rtl. it should be max 3 min always.
Worst clan i played vs is hmm... cant remember their stupid clanname.
But some .fi i suppose ( what else?).
They can play vs a team and loose the opposite teams map.
And they nearly win theirs. Then they say when its almost over " We play 25 min our map "

Then there goes HUGE whine all over it :P
And the .fi clan just say " well our server our rules " I say whooot :shocker:

If we say we leave they goes " WO for us " etc etc..

Some/same rules just should be on all cw servers.
:VsR: , =A= , {UNi} , (c) , <Star> [j]'
V34
tried to put the pin back in

Post by V34 »

## TIP ##

To auto-quit:
gl_modulate 999

Well there's the all around rule.
Dont camp! But people dont know when its camp or your waiting for some one.
omega
plummets to its death

Post by omega »

i did not read all the entries

but i agree on the topic, that there should be some general rules
for all types of matches (like international soccer rules) for tp, dm,
hl, ... posted on aq2world.com.

there have been several things mentioned before like t_gren, dmflags,
ff, ...., and other settings

there should also be a rule for a walk over...most common is 50-00,
40-00 or 30-00...is this justified? in most cases it is a manipulation of
stats in my opinion...

rules should help to make the system standardised!

do not blame me if something i wrote had been already mentioned
before...i am a lazy reader:/
http://www.nem3d.net » revenge in the third dimension
http://aut.ipax.at/ » austrian aq2 scene
http://narf.aq2.org/ » clan narf