local lag with dedicated server

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

itti
is connecting

local lag with dedicated server

Post by itti »

i try to set up an TNG server for lan usage. but every time i start a dedicated server (tried quake2.exe, nocheat.exe and r1q2ded.exe...) and connect to it localy i get massive lags. first there´s 2-3 sec. nothing happening then i can move but every 1-2 seconds there´s a short lag. r1q2 even kicks me and blames i was "flooding the server"... strange because with my config i can play on every online server. cl_maxfps = 60; rate = 7000
i´m using nocheat as a client...
the server config was generated by the TNG config generator.

if i start the a non-dedicated server this problem doesn´t happen... :#:

-edit: i did more research: i started nocheat.exe and started a non_dedicated server using my config. had no lag. then i did an alt+tab and startet nocheat again as a second client. there the lag appears (besides the low fps from using 2x nocheat.exe). it seems that i can run only one instance of quake2... i would start a dedicated i wouldn´t be able to join from the same computer.
creator of the original Seppmair Quake II
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Re: local lag with dedicated server

Post by NRGizeR »

itti wrote:...i would start a dedicated i wouldn´t be able to join from the same computer.
Eehh... if you check the taskmanager (or any other cpu monitor prog) you'll see the Quake2 process hogging the processor and eating almost all the availible CPU time... if you want a dedicated server on the same computer as you run the client, you would probably need to set the priority of the server process higher than the client (right click the process in taskmanager and choose the priority if you're using win2k or winxp). Then again, why would you want to run a dedicated server on the same computer as you're running the client? It would be easier and probably faster in the end to just run a non dedicated server then...

my 2 cents...
itti
is connecting

Post by itti »

you´re right with this, problem is that i want to heavy a dedicated ready to run when it´s needed (to get some other guys back to playing aq2 instead of urban terror)... i guess i have to test it out on the next lan party - to see if other people have lag too.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

R1Q2 kicks when your cl_maxfps is higher than 30.
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

it's adjustable:
set sv_fpsflood 125
and all will be fine.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

Your problem is that your client is consuming all your CPU time to the server is in effect frozen. Then when the server gets a chunk of CPU time all the pending packets rush in at once, hence why the R1Q2 server kicks you as it think it is being flooded.

To fix this, simply set the server as a high priority app or set your client as low priority. Use Task Manager process view to do this, or if you're using R1Q2, you can use the built in win_priority command to increase the dedicated.exe priority.
itti
is connecting

Post by itti »

thnx for the help. i think i understand why this happens. i will stick with a non_dedicated server then.